Friday, July 9, 2010

Review: Witch and Wizard by James Patterson

Synopsis from goodreads.com:
This is the astonishing testimonial of Wisty and Whit Allgood, a sister and brother who were torn from there family in the middle of the night, slammed into prison, and accused of being a witch and wizard. They are not alone in their terrifying predicament. Thousands of young people have been kidnapped. Some have been accused; many others remain missing. Their fate is unknown, and the worst is feared-for the ruling regime will stop at nothing to suppress life and liberty, music and books, art and magic...and the persuit of being a normal teenager.

Review:
Honestly, I thought Witch and Wizard was kind of a let down. I was expecting something awesome and action-packed with twists and turns that you never see coming- something that keeps you reading. This was probably because I absolutely LOVED the Maximum Ride series, so I was expecting this book to be at least almost as amazing as that, but it wasn't anywhere close. However, it was an okay book. I wouldn't be rushing out to the store in the middle of the night just to buy it. I'm not even sure if I'm going to read the next book in the series, but I do have some good things to say about it.

One, it was definately action-packed. And the plot was really interesting. It seemed like the characters never had a chance to rest. They would just solve one problem when another one was thrust in their faces. You would think the characters would have been more tired throughout the book-not just at the end! Thinking back on it, I actually could have enjoyed this book if it hadn't been for one thing: the characters.

I think my main problem with the book was that I just couldn't relate to the characters. I felt like I just couldn't get to know them. In really good books, you always feel like you know the characters, relate to them, understand them, and this makes you worry about them. That's what makes you hope the main characters can survive their adventures. In this book, that just didn't happen. I honestly didn't care if the two main characters had died at the end. I probably would have just thought "Well, that's kind of a bummer (and a little bit stupid considering they were the ones telling the story)." I wouldn't have been really upset, crying, thinking "Why would anyone end a book that way?" I just would have been sort of indifferent about it.

Overall, this book was okay. It wasn't great, it wasn't horrible. Just one of those books in the middle. I give it 5.5/10.




No comments:

Post a Comment