Friday, July 23, 2010

Mini Review: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

So, I haven't had much time this week and probably won't next week-some of my family is visiting us so, naturally we had to clean the whole house even though it will be messed up again within 5 minutes of everyone getting here. So I'm just going to do mini reviews (they'll just be shorter reviews) for the next week-I WILL post more reviews (hopefully).

Synopsis from goodreads.com:
Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.

Review:
I absolutely LOVED this book. Within the first 20 pages I had both laughed and cried. Most of the time I was laughing though. Junior sounded exactly the way most 14 year old boys sound. It's a really funny book that you can still learn something from. I love it when books are like that-they keep you laughing most of the way through and they still teach you a message and make you cry. Amazing. This is definitely one of my new favorites.

I would totally recommend this to everyone I know-as long as they're at least a teen (I probably wouldn't tell anyone under the age of 13 to read this book). Overall, I give it 9/10.

Told ya this review would be short!

No comments:

Post a Comment