Monday, January 7, 2013

Review: Seven Sorcerers by Caro King

Nin had never liked Wednesdays, but this one took the biscuit. On this Wednesday she woke up to find that it was raining buckets and that her brother had ceased to exist. Ninevah realises she is the only person to remember Toby because whoever took him is about to make her disappear too. Enter Skerridge the Bogeyman, who steals kids for Mr. Strood. With his spindle, he draws all memories of Nin out of her mother's head. Nin escapes to the Drift, the world that her new friend Jonas and Mr. Strood inhabit. But the Drift is filled with the fabulous and the dreadful; tombfolk, mudmen, and the spirits of the seven sorcerers who once ruled the land. What is the secret of the Seven Sorcerers, and will Nin and Toby escape their fate at the House of Strood?
From goodreads.com 

I really wanted to like this book. It just sounded so good and when I started reading it I was still coming out of a bit of a reading slump so I was hoping it might help. However, I just couldn't get into it. I actually put it down for a couple of weeks at one point and then came back to it and had to force myself to read more of it because I had only read a few chapters before putting it down for a couple of weeks. It did get better when I had read more of the book, but it still just wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be. However, I did eventually get to a point where I wasn't forcing myself to read it and actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would based on how long it took me to get into it. So, I have kind of mixed feelings about this book.

I did find Nin to be a very entertaining character. She's so much tougher than you ever would expect her to be when you first start reading the book. She will do anything to get her brother back and it really almost makes her seem kind of stubborn. I felt like she had an interesting personality and I really did love the way she thought and talked. I also found myself really liking Skerridge (I think he might have been my favorite character in the book) and any of his interactions with Nin. I think I found Skerridge's story line to be the most interesting one in this book.

I also thought it was really interesting to see a place like the "Drift" in a state of decay rather than the way places like that are usually portrayed in books. I think it made it a lot more interesting. Although it did take me a while to get into it, Seven Sorcerers ended up being  a fun, entertaining read filled with adventure and magic. I give it a 6.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment