Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Review: Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Scarlett Martin has grown up in a most unusual way. Her family owns the Hopewell, a small Art Deco hotel in the heart of New York City.
When each of the Martins turns fifteen, they are expected to take over the care of a suite. For Scarlett’s fifteenth birthday, she gets both a room called the Empire Suite and a permanent guest named Mrs. Amberson. Scarlett doesn’t quite know what to make of this C-list starlet and world traveler.
And when she meets Eric, an astonishingly gorgeous actor who has just moved to the city, her summer takes a second unexpected turn.
Before the summer is over, Scarlett will have to survive a whirlwind of thievery and romantic missteps. But in the city where anything can happen, she just might be able to pull it off.

From goodreads.com


I love Maureen Johnson's books (although I've only read three of them now) because something amazing happens to an ordinary girl. I liked Scarlett. She reminded me of myself almost. Well, of a more outgoing me of course. I felt like I could understand her really well. The only thing I didn't really like about Scarlett was that she had a hard time dealing with or solving her own problems. If anyone else had a problem though, she figured something out in a few minutes. This didn't distract me from the rest of the book too much though. I really loved Mrs. Amberson. Almost everything funny in the book came from Mrs. Amberson in one way or another (of course a lot of the things that happen are caused by Mrs. Amberson so this is kind of to be expected). Mrs. Amberson is definitely my favorite character in the book.

Suite Scarlett is unpredictable. I don't think I saw any of plot twists coming and my eyes were glued to the pages for hours. Overall, Suite Scarlett was a really fun read that I couldn't put down. I give it 8/10.

1 comment:

  1. I love love love Maureen Johnson. I met her last week and she's basically the nicest person ever. :)

    ReplyDelete