Saturday, June 26, 2010

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Synopsis from goodreads.com:
Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.


Review:
Yeah, I had heard about The Iron King, but for some reason I hadn’t expected it to be as good as it was. This book blew me away. I haven’t read a book like this in awhile. Although The Iron King may not be my favorite book ever, it is definitely my favorite book about faeries (and one of the best books I’ve read this year). I just could not put this book down once I got into it. It had a great plot, the romance worked perfectly into the story and didn’t completely take up the spotlight, and I liked most of the characters at least a little bit.
However, like most books, The Iron King did have its flaws. At times, I found myself thinking about how stupid Meghan (the main character) was; and then at other times, I found her to be really clever. When I wasn’t sitting there thinking “Really? Are you really that stupid?” she was all right though. I think I really thought Meghan was okay though most of the time, but I find it kind of pathetic that my favorite character was a cat. A talking cat, but still a cat. So, I thought I should say something about the characters (even though I probably didn’t need to). And now I’m rambling. Okay, so, moving on.
Overall, amazing book that everyone should definitely read. I give it 8.75/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment