Monday, May 10, 2010

Review:Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta



Synopsis from goodreads.com:
"What do you want from me?" he asks. What I want from every person in my life, I
want to tell him. More. Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was
eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her
past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn't a lot
of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to
family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all. In
this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue
leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her
mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a
mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her
dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the
maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he
does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able
to change her future.


My Review:
I must admit that at the beginning of this book, I had absolutely no idea what the heck was happening. I don't know what was so confusing about it, it just was. It was kind of like the author just jumped right into the middle of a story that the people in it understand, but the reader doesn't understand anything that's going on. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it needed more of an explanation at the beginning. Eventually, though, I figured out what it all meant and it seemed like a great story. All of the confusion at the beginning was almost forgotten.

So, maybe it was a little confusing, but Jellicoe Road was a pretty good book. The romance seemed a little rushed at times, but most of the time it was good. The mystery part of the book was somewhat easy to guess. I still didn't know exactly who the people in the story were until the end (the key word here is exactly, like I said, it was pretty easy to figure out and I like a book with surprises).

However, the characters were very well developed and the plot was amazing. Overall, I give this book 7/10. Partly because even though it had its flaws, I couldn't put it down.

1 comment:

  1. This is one that I've really been wanting to read. I'll have to pick it up one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete