Friday, April 2, 2010

Review: Unwind by Neal Shusterman


Description from bn.com:
Connor, Risa, and Lev are running for their lives.
The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape—and to survive.

My Opinion:
How can I possibly describe how awesome this book is in just one review? It was terrifying, beautiful, disturbing, cute, and horrific all at once. Unwind is one of the best books I’ve read lately (if you ask me the whole “girl falls in love with a magical creature who stalks her and may possibly want to kill her” scenario is getting a little too old).
One of the things that made it so good was the characters. Many YA books these days have characters that are hard to relate to (I mean, seriously, has anyone ever fallen in love with a person that quickly before? No, I think not). Most YA books have a main character who only ever thinks about some guy who they just met and are now totally in love with. This book isn’t like that. The main characters have real problems that people can relate to, sure, maybe we don’t have to worry about not being unwound, but we have all fought with our parents. Neal Shusterman made the characters very realistic, that’s part of what made this book enjoyable.
The plot of this book was very interesting, I don’t think I ever guessed any of the twists ahead of time, and if I did, it was only a page before it happened. I think it’s good to be surprised because it makes the book more enjoyable. This book was very fast-paced and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I only put it down when I had to. It was very, very, very well written.
I found it kind of interesting that Shusterman chose to have the second civil war be over abortion. It made it kind of more believable to me because with all of the debates about it, it could probably turn into violence. Overall, it was an awesome book and I suggest everyone runs to the bookstore NOW to buy it and read it. I give it 9.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment